Hi, I’m Melissa! I started Suitcase and Heels in 2012 to share my newfound love of solo travel and to also to encourage and help other women to start travelling.
This website is filled with travel planning tips and resources, packing lists, destination guides, inspiring stories, and my adventures from 21 countries on four continents.
For exclusive travel tips, giveaways and more, be sure to subscribe to my newsletter, The Check-In. Happy exploring!
Sometimes we need a little help in deciding where we want to go next. The world is a big place and the travel choices are almost endless. Wanderlust is often sparked by an image that you come across or discovering a little known activity. This is why I love sharing photos and stories from the places I’ve visited.
- Postcards from Venice: 17 Photos to Inspire You to Visit
- I Went to a Ball Pit Bar…and Things Got Weird
- Postcards from Johnston Canyon, Alberta
- To All the Places I’ve Loved Before…
Plan a Trip
Even if you already know where you want to go, planning a trip can be daunting. How do you find a good place to stay? What’s the best itinerary? Should I book a tour? I love sharing information that can make this step a breeze.
- The Best Travel Resources
- 10 Things I Always Do Before Every International Trip
- How to Fly for Free (Almost)
- My Love/Hate Relationship with Group Tours
Travel gear like your suitcase or electronics can be a big investment so I want to help you find just the right things to take on your trip. Are travel clothes worth investing in? What are the best shoes? I share what I’ve tested and learned.
- The Ultimate Travel Gear Guide for Women
- A Convertible Travel Dress That Doesn’t Suck
- Packing Essentials: The Packable Down Jacket
- The Ultimate Travel Gift Guide for Women
What you bring with you can often make or break a trip, which is why I love putting together packing lists and outfit guides for the places I’ve visited. Figure out what you need, and what you can leave home.
- What to Pack for Costa Rica
- Packing the Perfect Long Haul Carry On Bag
- What to Pack for Palawan, Philippines
- What to Pack for New York in Spring
After years of international travel, I’ve learned a thing or two, so I’ve compiled some helpful travel tips for some situations you could come across while traveling. These tips can help you plan the best trip possible. I’ve got you covered!
- 10 Tips for Your First Visit to Santorini
- Tips to Avoid Pickpockets and Theft While Traveling
- The First 6 Things I Do When I Land in a New City
- How to Kick Ass at Dining Solo